Monday, April 8, 2013

Rainy days

This week we got some much needed rain!!!  It has topped up our house water tank and given the thirsty garden a much needed refreshing drink....


...this was such lovely light between showers...



...even an ethereal rainbow to add to the garden magic.

The days are very autumnal now we have the living room fire going to keep us cosy in the evenings.
I did think I should have a swim in the sea at the weekend! I did and it was freezing! but very pretty with mountains in the background tipped with snow .  I do think it will be my last sea dunk for the summer.

The man of the house and I had to go into Invercargill during the week so we enjoyed  the Estuary walk while the sun was shining ...there were so many birds,


...sometimes we see little Kingfishers but not this time.


quite a few black swans.


A Blue Heron on a stealth mission!


some waddling ducks leaving tracks through the mud!  


The walk takes you along a track with native vegetation and views of the estuary then out onto a board walk over the water...I love it!


Sunbathing Spoonbills.




This morning I ran out of my peppermint cleaning paste so whipped up another batch and for the first time made up some of the spray cleaner....these are very quick to make up with inexpensive , environmentally friendly ingredients and they smell wonderful.


...this is the recipe 



After a lot of domestic exertion, preserving spaghetti with our tomatoes, cleaning windows, cleaning the bathroom and preparing dinner an afternoons painting with a lovely friend was the order of the day!





I'm really liking stamping over the painting....

A lovely afternoon.

HOUSEWORK
Dust if you must but wouldn't it be better
to paint a picture or write a letter;
Bake a cake or plant a seed or ponder the 
difference between want and need.

Dust if you must but there's not much
time with rivers to swim and mountains to climb, 
music to hear and books to read
friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must but the worlds out there
with the sun in your eyes, the wind in
your hair; a flutter of snow, a shower of
rain.
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must but bear in mind old age 
will come and it's not kind.
And when you go- and go you must you 
yourself will make more dust.

It's not what you gather, but what you 
scatter that tells you what kind of life
you have lived.

(author unknown)


Have a happy week.
x

















5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post very much. My husband calls me "bill oddie" because I love my birds so much and I always enjoy seeing the birds in other corners of the world. Don't think I've ever seen a Spoonbill. I always think it is a magical moment to see a Kingfisher and rainbows always brighten up my day. Enjoy your week and I hope things are improving on the health front x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meme Rose, thankyou for your as always lovely comments.
      Kingfishers and rainbows do have a certain kind of magic don't they.
      Your husbands pet name for you is so cool!
      I love your footstool cover! it looks great.
      Radiotherapy starts this week so another step along the way.
      Thanks for your good wishes and support
      xxxx

      Delete
  2. I do not know when I have enjoyed reading someones blog, more than this post. Every detail about it was a delight. I love the morning light after the rain, and your walk about the beach was enchanting. You certainly live in a most beautiful part of the world. Even your recipe for cleaner was a refreshing treat. Then to top it all off you are an amazing artist. I am in awe, and I am joining your list of followers. This has been a treat and a blessing. I do hope that you will come visit and if you should decide to follow me back, I would be honored.
    Have a lovely week. Your newest blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, thank you for your lovely comment.
      Blogland is such a lovely place!!!
      I popped over to visit you and love all the clever things you do. I will visit often.
      have a happy week

      Delete
  3. Wow! I found your blog from MemeRose. What blessed surroundings you live in, amazing! And you have donkeys, I love donkeys.
    I will be so happy to follow your blog :-)

    regards from the Netherlands,
    Marieke

    ReplyDelete